Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mountains and Molehills

I want to share with you something that happened to me today.

Yesterday, I worked all day preparing a music video for the popular Jewish hymn “Adon Olam”. When I was done, I uploaded it onto YouTube (and also shared it in my previous blog entry). The time was already quite late, so I called it a day. This morning, when I got up, I went to check on my video, and found a message from YouTube that a “Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society” claimed copyrights to the hymn I uploaded. It gave me the option to dispute the claim, but with a warning that if I filed a false claim, my account will be suspended.

I know for certain that the song is a few hundred years old, and is in the public domain, so I followed the instructions for filing a dispute; but when the time came to click “send”, I hesitated. The warning troubled me. I thought to myself, “Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society” sounds so formidable. What if there is something I’m not aware of… or else, why would they claim copyrights to the hymn? Do I want to risk having my account suspended? After a few moments, I decided to just go for it, and I filed my dispute.

Not two minutes later, I received an email from YouTube, stating that “Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video”.

Now, it would have taken a superman to be able to review my dispute and respond to it so quickly… So I must conclude that it was an automated response. In other words, they know that they claim copyrights unjustly, but are also aware of the fact that most people would be afraid to stand up to someone with such a formal title as “Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society”…

Well, apart from feeling elation all day over this little victory, I also understood the lesson God wanted me to learn.

Sometimes we feel like little David facing what appears to be a Goliath… We cry out, “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help?” (Psalm 121:1); when in fact the hills we think we see are merely molehills…

Psalm 121:1


It reminds me of the story in Judges 9:36: “And when Gaal saw the people, he said to Zebul, Behold, there come people down from the top of the mountains. And Zebul said unto him, Thou seest the shadow of the mountains as if they were men…”

So, don’t allow yourself to be intimidated too easily… Sometimes it really is just the shadow of something very small appearing too big to handle…

Be still, my beloved, and stay blessed in the everlasting arms of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment