Monday, August 20, 2012

Oil of gladness

These last few days have been very difficult for me. Apart from the fact that the media is flooded with terrible news from all around the world, I, personally too have experienced hardship in just about every area of my life – emotionally, physically and financially.

At home, I spend many hours crying out to God, but when I go out, I wear a different attitude.

Although I could go around sad and grumpy, I decided not to do that, and instead to be especially nice to people. I decided to smile to everyone, even to the rudest person, and to spread kindness.

You know what – the results are amazing. It seems to affect people and even spread. I noticed that the person to whom I was nice was after nice to another person, who also became nice… It seems that kindness is infectious.

Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.

Life is very hard, and people's hearts are in pain. It makes them angry, impatient and unkind. But when someone treats them with kindness, for no apparent reason, it triggers something inside them, which is lying dormant, just waiting to wake up – their need to love and be loved.

It reminds me of the story I read not too long ago:

An old man carried a little can of oil with him everywhere he went. If he passed through a door with squeaky hinges, he put a little oil on the hinges. If the gate was hard to open, he poured a little oil upon the latch.

Every day he found a variety of ways to use his pocket oilcan to others' advantage. Neighbors thought he was eccentric, but he went on his way, doing all within his power to lubricate the hard places and make life easier and more enjoyable for others.

We can do the same for others with our love and kindness. There is so much suffering in the world. We can share the love of Jesus and make the hard places a little easier to bear.

Let us live our lives as Jesus taught us, and be kind to one another, even if our hearts are aching…

Stay blessed, and stay tuned,

Alpha Omega






No comments:

Post a Comment