Saturday, August 4, 2012

Let the dam go

A few days ago, I found a bird's nest in my window garden, with three little eggs in it. The nest belongs to a common pigeon, that keeps coming and going, leaving the sheltered nest in what she fells is a protected environment. I felt flattered that the bird saw my little garden as safe for her unborn young. And then, I remembered the commandment from Deuteronomy 22:6-7, which states:

If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young: But thou shalt in any wise let the dam go, and take the young to thee; that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days.

If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young: But thou shalt in any wise let the dam go, and take the young to thee; that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days.


It made me reflect on another commandment; from Exodus 20:12

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Why are the two commandments connected? Because they are the only two commandments in the Law of Moses which directly promise a reward of longevity.

I began to ponder about the possible connection between the two seemingly unrelated commandments.

Why are we commanded to honor our parents?

As a parent I know that when my children disrespect me, it hurts much, much more than when someone else hurts me. My connection to my children goes deeper than words can describe. I know that I will do anything to ensure their wellbeing and happiness. I love them more than I love myself, and when they hurt me, something deep within me and very primal agonizes because of it.

A mother bird's feeling for her babies is no different. Her need to care for them and to protect them is the strongest of all instincts. If we were to take the baby birds or the eggs while the mother is watching, we would have caused her the same anguish that we feel when our children hurt us – the pain of a parent whose connection with his or her children has been unjustly broken.

That, in my opinion is the connection between the two commandments.

Now, I am not going to send away the mother bird, as I have no desire to take away her eggs or her babies. But it did make me reflect on how sensitive we must be toward all God's creatures, and how we should treat them all with love and compassion – Just like we would like to be treated ourselves.

It is interesting that the Torah – The Law of Moses – seems to immediately reward us for respecting the connection a parent has with his or her children, and acting compassionately towards it.

Perhaps the reason is that God himself feels toward us that very same feeling of absolute and unconditional love that we, whether human or animal, feel towards our children.

Perhaps by understanding this we grow a little closer to him, and represent a little better the image of God by which we were created. That in itself is a great reward!

Stay blessed, and stay tuned,

No comments:

Post a Comment