Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Growing up in an Orthodox Jewish home

Yesterday I negan to write my life story, and my testimony. I decided to do it after i clearly heard the instructions to start writing down what happened to me, and what my eyes have seen. I am doing it for His glory, and know, that in the last chapter, no matter what the story is, Jesus comes back in glory.

I am not going to name my book yet. But I will start telling my story, and sharing some with you each day.


Growing up in an Orthodox Jewish home

Big eyes; I always had big eyes. I swallowed the world with my eyes ever since I can remember… I needed to see everything and know everything. I was a very curious child and a very clever one as well. I never accepted things as they seemed, and always looked for what was lying underneath.

Life in the Orthodox Jewish world raises many questions, which most people suppress. But I didn’t know how to suppress. Knowledge is a curse, so I was told; or as the headmistress at my school put it, "Who thinks? Horses think…" I didn't mind being a horse; in fact, I thought horses were glorious. I envied their freedom to roam free in the open fields, while I felt chained to a seat at a dreary classroom, with a stern looking teacher; and so, I thought…

Unfortunately for my parents, although they didn't know it at the time, I learned to read when I was three years of age. My mother used to read me nursery rhymes from a book, and apparently, my mind interpreted the strange symbols and recognized them as letters. I remember the day my mother found out I could read…

We were waiting outside the post office. It was me and my older brother, who is 10 months older than I. My mother was inside, getting a package containing a book she had just won in some radio competition. She came out, and handed us the book, because she needed to tend to my newborn brother. My older brother and I were very excited. We had never won anything before. We tore up the paper wrapping, and looked at the shiny new book. "Look, Mommy," I exclaimed, "It says, Tom Sawyer detective…" My mother froze, and glared into my innocent three year old eyes. "What did you say?" She asked, puzzled. I repeated patiently, "It says, Tom Sawyer detective…" My mother was shocked. She opened the book and asked me to read it; and so I did.
From that day on, I read every book around the house...


Stay blessed, and stay tuned,

Alpha Omega

No comments:

Post a Comment