Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Growing older

Today I sat on the bus; I got on it after waiting for quite a while… The bus driver was driving so fast; at first I thought someone was chasing him… I suddenly caught myself appreciating the driver’s speed, because he was making up for the lost time wasted while waiting. I also recalled getting on the same bus the day before with a child. The driver was also driving very fast, and I was displeased with his reckless driving…
How funny, I thought to myself, that my reaction to the very same thing was so different on these two occasions. The first time – when I was responsible for another person, I was feeling uncomfortable with the driver’s irresponsibility, whereas, the second time, I was alone and didn’t seem to sense the danger, and only concentrated on the benefit, despite the risk…
I thought of my life before I had children, and remembered the fast pace, the adventure, the rewards… and then I thought of my life as a parent – slow, calculated and safe… Do we really change that much when we become parents? I wondered…
Youth is a wonderful things; much can be said about it. We are stronger, bolder, braver and freer when we are young. We have much to see, and time is precious…
King David commended youth in Psalm 127:3-4
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

But still, King Solomon reminded us of the qualities of older age as well, in Proverbs 20:29
The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the gray head.
Furthermore, in Ecclesiastes 11:9-11, King Solomon warns that:
Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity.
Yes, although being young and enjoying the fullness of life is appealing, growing older, having children, and settling into a slower pace is a new experience altogether.
Today’s world glorifies youth; you are supposed to stay young looking forever to be considered worthy in many cultures. But God’s way isn’t like that. We are supposed to grow and learn, and when we reach the right time, pass on the knowledge to our children.
Each season in our lives has its timing, its rhythm and its pace. Each season is another experience…
Make the most of each season. Don’t waste your valuable time mourning for seasons passed…
Growing older may be scary, but remember  Psalm 92:12-14:
The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing.
Stay blessed, and stay tuned,

No comments:

Post a Comment